Sugar is caustic, plain and simple, especially the white, refined versions, which demolish health with staggering ease. Most foods consumed today, processed and homemade alike, contain added sugar. While the more natural sweeteners such as raw honey, maple syrup, and dehydrated cane sugar juice are gentler on our body chemistry, they still contain a high concentration of these simple carbohydrates. When over-consumed, sugar provokes a whirlwind of regulatory functions in the body that race to re-balance the system after sugar’s body-blow, especially for pint-sized kiddos. Replacing unhealthful sweeteners with more wholesome choices is a good first step to a more nourished body. The second and often more challenging step is reducing cravings and breaking the habit of daily sugary desserts. Although it may take a bit of work, I assure you, it can be done!
A comment we often hear is, “A little won’t hurt!” Or, “You deserve a treat, you’re on vacation!” Sure, a little sugar is a minor challenge: for already healthy individuals. Unfortunately, dysfunctional blood sugar balance, immune issues, and adrenal fatigue are common, and even a small amount of sugar can send someone with these disturbances into sugar shock. Moreover, most of us already get a little here, a little there, and then a little more over here and there, and then BAM!! That sugar really adds up! What do we mean by “a lot”? Our ancestors likely indulged in around one tablespoon (14-17g of sugar) of honey per day (when available), which is stunningly low compared to today’s average sugar intake of one cup (224-272g of sugar) per day! YOWZERS!
About twenty years ago, Nancy Appleton, PhD, began an eye-opening, research-supported list of the ways sugar can ruin your health. As research on the subject has continued, so has Appleton’s list, growing to between 143 and 146 reasons long as to why sugar simply ruins your health. The latest version is included in her most recent book, “Suicide by Sugar.”
Here is a small, yet powerful sampling of reasons to avoid sugar:
- Sugar feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, lung, gallbladder and stomach.
- Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose and can cause reactive hypoglycemia.
- Sugar can cause many problems with the gastrointestinal tract, including an acidic digestive tract, indigestion, malabsorption in patients with functional bowel disease, increased risk of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Sugar can interfere with your absorption of protein.
- Sugar can cause food allergies.
- Sugar steals calcium from the bones and is a major factor in developing Osteoporosis.
- Sugar contributes to obesity.
If those reasons alone aren’t enough to make you at least consider cutting your sugar intake down or completely out, check out Nancy’s complete list, 143 Reasons Sugar RUINS Your Health.
And as always, the best way to figure out a low to no sugar diet that works for YOU, call today to schedule an appointment with Sam or Vicki and leave with a completely unique program designed specifically for you and your lifestyle!